What can I do now? Update your address.

If you are living in the US and either have valid status to stay or are in proceedings (basically anyone other than a citizen), you must keep immigration up to date with your current address. This means that every time you move, you need to update immigration. Depending on the facts of your case, you may need to update more than one office of your move. Keep in mind that changing your address with the post office is not enough! Mail may … Continued

What can I do now? Check the hotline.

If you have had contact with immigration, you will almost certainly have an alien registration number, commonly known as your “A number”. This is an A followed by 8 or 9 digits (for example: A 200 345 67, A 200 345 67). You can use this A number to easily find immigration court information relating to your case in English and Spanish. Immigration court is formally known as the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR). EOIR has established a hotline that you can call … Continued

New blog series: What can I do now?

We have received many calls after the recent election, asking “What can I do now?” in regards to immigration status. There is a lot of uncertainty as to what will happen, but we will work to keep you informed with a series of blog posts addressing things you can do NOW to become more informed and take control of your immigration situation. If you have other suggestions of topics to address, contact us with your suggestion.

What do I do if an officer comes to my door?

First of all, it’s important to understand there are many types of law enforcers. These most commonly include police officers, FBI agents, ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) agents, and DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) agents, along with others. All these officers are enforcers of the law and preventers of crime. Even so, you are not always required to open the door to law enforcement. If a law enforcer does not present a warrant (usually either search, criminal, arrest, or detention), you … Continued

Is it too late to apply for DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals)?

DACA is a program that allows people who were brought to the United States as children to apply for Deferred Action (a promise by the government to not begin removal proceedings), and a work authorization card for a two year period.  As of the end of 2015, over 850,000 people have been approved for the DACA program.  That number continues to grow as new filers continue to apply. To qualify, you must demonstrate that: You entered the U.S. before June … Continued

What should I do if I’m hit by a vehicle while riding my bicycle?

Now that the weather is warming up, more bikes are on our trails, paths and on the roads. Unfortunately, this also increases the chance of bike vs. car collisions. We often hear of bicyclists who have been injured in a collision with a motor vehicle, but who didn’t know that they had rights to any benefits for medical treatment or wage loss. If you are on your bicycle and in a collision with a motor vehicle, you have rights to … Continued

Can someone else insure my car so I can save money on premiums?

People are always looking for ways to save money on auto insurance.  Especially in states like Minnesota that require No-Fault coverage, people are always trying to find a way to avoid the high cost of coverage.  We have had several clients over the years who have done some variation on the above.  They have asked some other family member (or friend) to insure their vehicle.  It seems like a good idea…until you’re involved in a crash and need to obtain … Continued

I recently got a 3-year EAD through DACA, do I have to send it back?

Based on an announcement by President Obama, Employment Authorization Documents (EAD), also known as work permits, were issued for three-year spans for those applying or re-applying for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). This was challenged and a ruling made on February 16, 2015, determined that any DACA EAD or work permit issued after February 15, 2015 and valid for greater than two years would need to be returned to the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS). Walther Goss Law can help you with … Continued

What is happening with DAPA?

We have received many inquiries regarding Deferred Action for Parents of Americans and Lawful Permanent Residents, commonly known as DAPA. This program was announced by President Obama on November 20, 2014. As you have likely heard, there have been recent developments affecting DAPA. Texas and 26 other states have brought a lawsuit to block this program and the extension of the DACA program based on hardship and expenses that will be incurred by the states. The suit was heard by Judge Andrew Hanen in … Continued