I recently got a 3-year EAD through DACA, do I have to send it back?

Based on an announcement by President Obama, Employment Authorization Documents (EAD), also known as work permits, were issued for three-year spans for those applying or re-applying for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). This was challenged and a ruling made on February 16, 2015, determined that any DACA EAD or work permit issued after February 15, 2015 and valid for greater than two years would need to be returned to the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS). Walther Goss Law can help you with this process. You will be provided with a corrected work permit (EAD) valid for two years. If your work permit is valid for more than two years and your card states the “valid from” date on or before February 15, 2015, you do not need to send in your card as the ruling to stop these three-year EAD work permits occurred after yours was processed. You can find more information from USCIS here.

Unless you are someone who falls into this category and does not comply by sending USCIS your work permit, you have done nothing wrong. For those who do fall under this restriction, under extreme measures, immigration may send you letters, try to contact you over the phone and even make a visit to your residence to collect the three-year EAD. Should you have questions or concerns as to whether you fall under this category, or if you have been contacted by immigration, please contact Walther Goss Law today.

This post was written by .

Published .

Posted in: Immigration


Comments are closed.