What can I do now? Update your address.

If you are living in the US and either have valid status to stay or are in proceedings (basically anyone other than a citizen), you must keep immigration up to date with your current address. This means that every time you move, you need to update immigration. Depending on the facts of your case, you may need to update more than one office of your move. Keep in mind that changing your address with the post office is not enough! Mail may not be forwarded or may be delayed if it is forwarded and you need to get updates or appointment dates from immigration on time. Some basics are below – you can also find more information at https://www.uscis.gov/addresschange .

If you have no pending cases, you must submit an AR-11. You can file this online or by mail, more information available here.

If you have a pending or recently approved application or petition (EXCEPT for U-Visa, T-Visa, VAWA), you need to complete two steps. First, you must submit the AR-11. Second, you must change your address on any pending or recently approved application or petition. If you file the AR-11 online, you can do both steps through the same system. If you file the AR-11 by mail, you will have to call 1-800-375-5283 to change the address on your application or petition. We strongly recommend that you deal with both steps at once, by using the online filing option.

If you have a pending or approved VAWA I-360, U-Visa I-918, T-Visa I-914 AND you also filed either I-485, I-765, I-601, I-192, I-131, or I-929, you CANNOT change your address online. You must file your change of address request directly to:

Vermont Service Center
75 Lower Welden Street
St. Albans, VT 05479-0001

If you have any questions, need help in updating your address, or need advice or detailed information regarding your immigration case or question, contact us to meet with one of our immigration attorneys.

This post was written by .

Attorney and partner at Walther Goss Law.

Published .

Posted in: Immigration

Comments are closed.